No one was injured Monday – not even a dog hiding under a bed – in a house fire in Hermiston.
Just before 3 p.m., Umatilla County Fire District #1 responded to a structure fire on Agnew Road. Upon arrival, there was significant smoke showing from the roof and the eves.
Fire crews from UCFD#1 made an offensive attack and received mutual aid from Umatilla Rural Fire Protection District and Boardman Fire Protection District and were able to extinguish the fire.
One firefighter was treated for heat exhaustion. Following the fire, the homeowner’s dog, Candy, was found under a bed and rescued.
This year continues to be a busy one for UCFD#1. The district set a record for service calls for both the month of June as well as the past fiscal year. During Monday’s fire, the district also responded to a motor vehicle accident and a medical call.